“Something for Nothing.” Karen M. Kroll, Executive Suite, NRF Stores, April 2012.
- “The most difficult aspect to marketing is getting the customer to try the product, especially if they don’t know it.”
- “Retailers offering product samples is a way to differentiate themselves, showing that they are current and contemporary.”
- “Sampling most effective when two criteria are met: 1. the product is significantly better than current offerings, 2. when the product is difficult to describe, e.g., see and taste positive differences.”
- “All selling is theater. Sample in an area of the store that is well-lit and comfortable to the consumer. Make it a show.”
- “While the benefits of product sampling to the manufacturer are fairly clear, the retailer also benefits from sampling. Hosting product demonstrations creates a sense of excitement. Sampling is like Christmas and our birthdays.”